Sunday, June 9, 2013

Things I can't live without (and that I have to find in Holland)

The essential first: I don't really care about the brand, only if I know that the other brands suck. 

First, oils.


I have one olive oil and one oil with neutral flavour that I use for instance for Asian cooking. The olive oil I also put on salads, I buy one bottle and use it for everything. There's a nice shop on Birger Jarlsgatan (http://www.italspain.se/) where they sell olive oil in larger bottles, normally I go there. The one on the picture I bought at Hemköp. 

The essential Asian products I use.


From left to right, white rice vinegar, mushroom soy, dark rice vinegar, Japanese soy and sweet chili sauce. I really like the vinegar bottles, they're so cute. The mushroom flavour soy was a mistake, I hope to finish it soon, because it wasn't what I was after, probably I go back to the good old Mrs Cheng (famous soy-brand in Sweden) or some other soy, this one tastes a bit off. The dark vinegar I bought as an experiment, but it's really nice. The Japanese soy I don't use that much off, so a small bottle is good enough for me. 

For Asian products, I go here, all three located around Hötorget metro station:
  • Oriental Supermarket, a bit more expensive, but they have a LOT
  • Asian Market, have most of the stuff I use, this is the place I go for tofu
  • East Trading Wang, a cute little shop

Chilisauce, one of the nicest things in life.


I can't make nasi without the sambal and a dash of the Sriracha sauce. Both two products came via Holland :P

Paprikapowder I use a lot. 


This is sweet and hot paprikapowder, bought in Budapest. Paprikapowder is really versatile. It's a bonus that the cans are so cute, I love this folklore style.

Balsamic vinegar.


This is one of the cheaper ones, I like the flavour of it. It works well in bolognese sauce together with soy and paprikapowder (a mix of sweet and hot).  

Tuna in a can, saved me many times during my studies in Delft ;)


This is tuna flakes which works well in sauces such as Pasta with tuna-tomatosauce, I've also tried it in Pasta Puttanesca, works well there too. For salads, I'd use the tuna that's in a block and just gently break it apart. 


I can't go without a fully functioning freezer. 


I've stocked up my freezer with chicken liver, one whole chicken, a couple of chicken tighs (yes, I love chicken), fish, bacon, spring rolls, green seasoning (in the plastic bag in the picture), 7 containers of chili sin carne, chorizo and a Swedish sausage called 'Isterband'. You can read about it here: Smoked pork sausage called Isterband Don't know where I'll get my hands on isterband in Holland, maybe it'll just be one of those things I have when in Sweden.

No comments:

Post a Comment