Sunday, June 9, 2013

Chicken liver peri peri

Another mouth-watering chicken liver recipe to put on my repetoir. The recipe is from here: Chicken liver peri-peri
Some things in this recipe I didn't have, instead of red wine vinegar I used white wine vinegar and instead of worchestershiresauce, I used my mushroom flavour soy, which from now on proved to be quite nice ;) and instead of oil and butter, I only used oil.

Chicken liver peri peri, 4 portions

Marinade:
2 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon cummin
1 teaspoon coriander powder
2 teaspoon red chili flakes
 pinch of salt
a lot of black pepper
 2 bay leaves

500 grams chicken liver
1 onion
½ tablespoon tomatopaste
1 tablespoon mango chutney
1 tablespoon soy sauce
a few spoons chicken stock
a dash of whiskey

If livers are frozen, defrost, save the blood (yes, don't be afraid of it :), put it in a bowl. Clean the livers, divide them to smaller pieces. Rinse under running water, let drain for about 15 min. Put the livers in the bowl with the blood.


Chop the garlic. Put it in a small bowl and mix it with olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, cummin, coriander, red chili flakes, pinch of salt and a lot of pepper. 


Put half over the livers and mix it. Put the other half in and stir lightly. Put in two bay leaves, so you can take them out later. (Don't really understand the purpose of this step with the recipe, but oh well, it's up to you) Put in the fridge and marinate as long as you can. (I did it for 30 min, the recipe states 2-2½ hours)

 
Chop the onion. Put olive oil in a pan on high heat. Add the onion. Fry until brown.


Put the livers in a seperate bowl, toss away the bay leaves, save the marinade. When onion brown, add the livers and fry and stir vigorously for 3 min. 


Take the pan off the heat. Add soy sauce, chicken stock, tomatopaste, mango chutney.

 Oh yes, I put my 12 year Jameson in this dish, I thought I had a blended scottish whiskey somewhere, but no, luxure today ;)

Put it back on the heat. Stir it for a bit. Take the pan off the heat. Add the marinade and the whiskey. Put it back on the heat and stir, always keeping an eye on it so it doesn't burn. Take it away from the heat and put a lid on and let it stand for about 10 min.


Serve it with rice.

 
The peri peri sauce is so delicious, I'm already thinking about other meats I can use for this one! And it's not overly spicy, so pretty much everyone can eat it. So good! I licked the plate clean :)

No comments:

Post a Comment