Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Chicken liver - Caribbean Style

I remember eating chicken liver with mushrooms cooked by my mum, I liked it, but when I tried to replicate it when I moved from home, almost 8 years ago, it failed and I've stayed away from chicken liver since. I've been feeling tired lately, so a dosis of iron is never wrong for a woman :P and with 500 grams of chicken liver for 10 kr at Hemköp right now, choice for dinner was easy!

This is a Caribbean version that I found here: http://caribbeanpot.com/category/chicken-recipes/
I couldn't find the exact ingredients, so my version is

Chicken liver - Caribbean Style, 4-5 portions

500 grams chicken liver
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1/4 teaspoon green seasoning (I used spanish pepper without the inner part instead of the pimento)
3 cherry tomatoes or 1 big tomato
1/3 leek (white part)
1/2 green spanish pepper (the recipe calls for scotch bonnet, which I couldn't find at my store but this worked as well, scotch bonnet is hotter than spanish pepper so I kept the inner part of the pepper for more bunch)
1 teaspoon ketchup
1/4 black pepper
generous pinch curry powder

Trim the chicken liver and wash it with water until the water is clear. Let it drain for 15 minutes.
Chop onion, garlic, tomatoes, spanish pepper, leek. 
Put the liver in a bowl and add salt, green seasoning, spanish pepper, ketcup, black pepper and curry. Marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.



Put olive oil in a frying pan and gently fry the onion and garlic on medium heat, careful not to burn the garlic. Let it fry for about 3 minutes until it starts to brown. Add the liver. Bring up the heat, add the tomatoes. 


The liver will start to give off liquid. Stir a lot. Fry for 5 minutes. Then add the leek, bring up the heat to the highest and fry for about 4 minutes, so some of the liquid goes away. Serve in bread.


It tastes amazing :)  The taste is very subtle, the liver taste is there, but it's very fresh.
I'll definitely cook more chicken liver!





No comments:

Post a Comment