Monday, June 23, 2014

The perfect potatoes

We almost never buy potatoes, because boiled potatoes just aren't that much fun. And fried sliced potatoes most of the time just get mushy. Some time ago we bought 3 kilos of potatoes for €3.79 and decided to do something fun with it. So I've made a soybean potato curry (it lacked something, so I didn't post it here, will continue working on it) and one of the steps was to sort of dry-boil or steam the potatoes in a pan. This really made the potato taste more and just cooking the potato like this for a side-dish is really yummy. 

The soybean potato curry can be found here: Soybean Potato Curry

Perfect potatoes, 2 portions as side-dish

2 big potatoes (vastkokend = potatoes that don't fall apart when boiled)
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil

Wash and peel the potatoes. Slice it in half. Slice the halves in half and then cut across, 3-4 cm big pieces. Heat up a frying pan to high heat. Put some oil in. Put the potatoes in and fry them on high heat for about 10 min, let them get some color. Stir when needed so that they don't stick. After about 10 min, reduce the heat to low and put a lid on. Stir every few minutes and let the potatoes steam for about 15 minutes. They're ready when they are soft. 

The best way to eat potatoes according to my boyfriend!

The potatoes can be served as a side-dish to for instance oven-baked chicken breast, which I'll write about tomorrow. Tomorrow I start my Dutch course, finally I'll get some structure to all the Dutch flying around in my head. Frankly if I don't take this course my Dutch will stay at this level forever. Maybe someday I'll write a blogpost in Dutch. 

Tot morgen!


No comments:

Post a Comment