Thursday, October 10, 2013

3 things I like about Dutch food

When I first got here 1 1/2 years ago for my Erasmus, I really really disliked the food here in Holland. I thought it was tasteless, not that varied and that the Dutch lacked passion for eating. For me eating is life, you can't live without eating and eating just for the sake of nutrition is just boring.

I still don't understand the Dutch view on eating, how can you produce anything creative if you don't have any lunch and just snack on Boterham the entire day. I don't think I'll ever understand this and I can't live by it either, I just get too damn hungry!

However there are a few things I really really like, especially now after many visits, here's the list:

1. You can eat like a king here! 
Compared to Stockholm, the food here is really cheap. With the money I spend on crappy food back in Sweden, my boyfriend and I can eat really nice food everyday. Fish is more expensive here in Holland though, so I tend to go for fish when I go out eating here, because steak I can eat whenever I want. Back in Sweden I would go for steak when eating out, because eating that at home is simply to expensive. 

2. Patat, patat, patat - and mayonnaise!
French fries are awesome here and with mayonnaise it's so nice. In Sweden you can't get mayonnaise with your fries, mostly ketchup or bernaise sauce. In Holland, I have a craving for patat. Always, constantly.

3. Gegrillde Broodje at the Kaashoek in Zandvoort!
You wouldn't think a grilled sandwich would be one of the best things in the world, but seriously this sandwich is worth the trip to the village of Zandvoort outside Amsterdam. Cheese, chicken sausage, pickled cucumber, sauce - so good! Open Mon-Sat.

No comments:

Post a Comment