Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Coconut Chicken Adobo

Had chicken thighs in the freezer that needed to go and with my boyfriend being here I also wanted to try a new recipe so this one caught my interest, the site was done when I wrote this, but it's from a blog called Appetite for China and the recipe is called Coconut Chicken Adobo.
This is how I did it.

Coconut Chicken Adobo, 2 persons

4 chicken thighs
1 part white vinegar
4 pars water
3 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons soy or fish sauce
1 can coconut milk
½ teaspoon cayenne
½ teaspoon paprika powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Put chicken, vinegar, water, peeled garlic, bay leaf and soy or fish sauce (this time I used soy, might have overpowered the dish slightly, next time I'm going to use fish sauce) in a pot. The chicken needs to be almost covered, add more water if needed.


Bring it to the boil and then let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes. Remove the thighs when tender to a plate, dry them with kitchen paper. 


On high heat, reduce the sauce until it feels thicker, about 15 minutes.  


Add the coconut milk (I use a really cheap one that had been standing in my cupboard for a while, it didn't bring that much flavour to the dish, I have to say...), cayenne, paprika powder and black pepper. 


Bring to boil and remove from heat. Put oil in a hot pan. Quickly fry the chicken (about 2 minutes on each side) and return to the sauce pot. Serve with rice.


This dish has a really subtle spiciness to it that even my boyfriend could handle ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment