Thursday, March 6, 2014

What I miss from Sweden food wise

Having been in Holland for sometime now, there are a few Swedish things that I really miss here in Holland.
  • Blodpudding! This sweet dark sausage is made from pig's blood and is served with lingonberry jam. This was served in the canteen at least once a month when I was at school and also at home. I have seen some kind of blood sausage here at Jumbo but I haven't tried it yet, because I don't know how to prepare the Dutch version. Homework for March! A recipe can be seen here
  • Sausage! Here they have dried sausage (also delicious, try for example the Frisian dried sausage) and occassionally fresh sausage (also nice). I miss those sausages from all around the world - chorizo, kielbasa, bratworst etc just ready to cook with. 
  • Cheesecake from SmÃ¥land! This cake warmed in the oven and served with raspberry jam is just delicious, if I want this cake here, I have to make it from scratch - maybe also homework for March! A recipe (Swedish) is here
  • Pickles! The pickles here just don't taste as good. My quickly pickled cucumber are always very popular at dinners here ^^ I miss the pickled cucumbers and beetroot. 
And a few things I'm happy to live without.
  • Falukorv - this disgrace of a sausage. Pale pink, bland and creamy in texture, this was a staple in the canteen, don't try it if in Sweden.
  • Expensive bacon - bacon is incredibly expensive in Sweden compared to Holland. And let's face it, bacon makes everything delicious. 
Give me sausages and beer and I'm happy :)

Of course, I could bike down to IKEA and get some nice stuff, but it's the IKEA house brand, which to be honest for some of the products isn't that good. Too bad they stopped stocking Swedish brands a few years ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment